||Film Action and Themes
- 0:00: Warners/Village Roadshow
logos (reflective brass motif, metallic whistling motif, subtle, low Matrix ostinato motif, etc...)
- 0:31: Falling green Matrix rain,
push in to "U" of "REVOLUTIONS", blackness followed by a
push in to a yellow explosion, a pull-back to a Matrix code bird's eye view
of a city, a brief push in, then a further pull back to green code on an
Operator's screen (slam, Matrix ostinati, brass accents in irregular rhythm ("Crash" motif), a suspended high-textured pause, more brass accents with spiraling winds, modulating, reflective brass, accents with low brass punctuation, rising strings).
||Nothing But Blue Pills
- 0:00: The crew of the Hammer
search for signs of Niobe's ship ("Search" tremolo strings, low brass).
- 0:35: As Roland orders his crew
to positions, Link picks up a call from Seraph (tremolo strings derived from
Mission motif, building horns joined by subtle Zion Defense rhythm).
- 1:26: Neo wakes up in the Train
Station and meets Sati (a slam leads to boys voice, high strings, slow
Search tremolo winds/brass).
- 0:00: Seraph takes Morpheus and
Trinity to meet with the "new" Oracle. She tells them they must
find the Trainman in order to save Neo (low textures, then plaintive high and low strings ).
- 0:00: Rama-Kandra tells Neo
about his love for his daughter (soft strings and harp arpeggio (Sati theme), low
string figure (Merovingian motif), then Karma motif on harp followed by
Trinity Love theme on cor anglais under high strings).
(w. Juno Reactor)
- 1:05: Seraph, Morpheus and
Trinity chase the Trainman through subway platforms (City tremolo/Mission motif,
reflective brass, pounding rhythm with trumpets/synths, low brass sirens, ending in
brass/timpani swells, etc...).
||The Trainman Goeth
- 0:00: The Trainman arrives at
the Train Station, but he prevents Neo from boarding (suspense strings,
metallic whistling, muted brass snarls, rising high strings, accent with
piano clusters ending in despondent brass).
- 1:28: Trinity decides that they must see the Merovingian (City tremolo strings).
(w. Juno Reactor)
- 0:00: Seraph, Morpheus and
Trinity take out the entrance guards at the Merovingian's Hell Club (low
atmospheric textures joined by low ethnic percussion (Taiko), trumpets, horns,
strings, etc… erupting in a percussion
cadenza, ending in light percussion and brushed textures).
- 1:23: The trio engage the gun check henchmen in a gunfight (brass swell
leads to electronic slams, string clusters, rock beats and synth with a few
reflective brass/accent interludes, ending in rising Fast-forward arpeggio).
||The Road To Hell
- 0:00: Seraph, Morpheus and
Trinity agree to disarm in order to speak with the Merovingian. The Merovingian demands the eyes of the
Oracle in exchange for Neo (low atmospheric textures, brass swells/high
strings, 8-note "Trinity Annoyed" motif on tremolo strings (later winds, horns)
from 0:50, dueling with Merovingian motif/variations in low strings,
eventually ending in a brass swell).
- 3:17: Trinity threatens the
Merovingian's life (energetic strings with tremolo brass ornaments,
reflective brass, suspended trilling strings, ending in a brass swell).
- 4:19: Neo sees a vision of the
surface and his future (choral interlude).
- 4:35: The train arrives with Trinity on it (winding arpeggios leading to
Trinity Love theme fragment in horns).
- 5:02: While driving through the city streets, Neo states that he must see
the Oracle (piano on City tremolo (motif from The Matrix "Switch Out"), brass swells,
high strings etc...).
||He Is You
- 0:00: The Oracle tells Neo that she sees Smith taking over both the Matrix and the Real World
(atmospheric textures, Agent snarl).
"Everything that has a beginning…has
- 1:13: On the Hammer, Bane wakes up from his coma (Agent snarl, accent and swell).
||The First Goodbye
- 0:00: Sati says goodbye to the
Oracle, as Seraph takes her away for hiding (brief oboe solo over sustained
- 0:27: The Smiths arrive at the Oracle's building and track down Seraph and
Sati (slam, followed by Bane brass motif and high strings, brass swell,
metallic whistling/snarls, rising tension strings/brass,
followed by high suspense textures, blends of metallic whistling and "extra-flanged" Agent
|The All-Knowing Oracle
- 2:25: The Smiths enter the
Oracle's room and infect her (Agent snarl and muted brass swells/high
strings, followed by a web of atonal string ornaments and muted brass, leading to piano clusters/swirling textures, Bane motif/Agent snarling, "developed"
- 4:46: Roland and the others interrogate Bane (low strings).
- 5:15: Neo has a vision of journeying to the Machine City (brief choral
||The Logos Location
- 0:00: The Hammer finds Niobe's
ship, the Logos, and lands (Search tremolo motif variation over horn figure,
then a low, winding string figure, horn figure).
- 0:58: A search for Niobe and Ghost is begun in the darkness (atmospheric
suspense textures, then low string figures resume).
- 1:50 Niobe appears. Morpheus and
Niobe talk about the Oracle (horn figure, then celli).
- 2:29: Lock addresses the Zion Council concerning the defense of the Dock
(faster tremolo string patterns (Mission motif) with a martial timpani beat and horn/string
- 3:16: Councilor Hamann asks about the fate of the Nebuchadnezzar (low string figure, noble horns, strings).
- 4:02: Zee tells Cas that she
intends to stay and defend the Dock in order to help ensure Link's safe
return (plaintive, then resolute string figures).
- 0:00: The captains make plans to
return to Zion (suspense, tremolo string figures (based on Mission harmony) over bass
- 1:07: Neo appears and tells them that he has go to the Machine City (brief the
One cadence, noble horn figures).
- 2:11: Niobe gives him the Logos, since she'll pilot the Hammer back to
Zion. Niobe tells Morpheus that she
believes in Neo (high strings, harp arpeggio, muted brass figures, resolute
strings, the One cadence).
- 3:13: Bane begins to act strangely and eventually kills Maggie (high string
tremoli, layers of low textures, action accent, piledriver).
- 4:05: Trinity tells Neo she's
going with him (low strings, full Trinity Love theme in fragile strings).
- 5:13: The Hammer prepares to leave.
Neo says goodbye to Morpheus (fast pulsed suspense texture, wistful string
figures, muted brass figure with timpani roll accent, followed by pulses under
- 6:25: The Hammer leaves (Zion Defense theme (martial texture), resolute
- 6:53: The power goes out on the Logos.
Bane attacks Trinity (suspense string tremoli/horns, dissonant brass layers, action accent,
Agent snarl over brass swells/string tremoli, ending in action
accents/figures driven by piano/brass).
||The Smith Within Us
- 0:00: The crew of the Hammer
find Maggie's body (suspense textures (tremoli somewhat based on Mission scale)).
- 0:38: Bane holds Trinity hostage.
After some scuffling, Neo finally realizes that it's actually Smith (low
brass swells, Agent snarling, layers of muted brass moaning (bends), string tremoli,
brief Sentinel-like action accent, metallic whistling, etc..., rising
tremoli, Agent snarl, Bane brass motif, brass swell).
- 3:22: Neo and Bane fight hand to hand (brass stabs and orchestral slams
with a Fast-forward motif near the beginning, leading into kind of a "soft"
variation of the Matrix subway "Fighting theme").
- 4:05: Bane blinds Neo with a live cable (high suspended texture with cymbal
"sizzling", sad horn figure, Agent snarling, string tremoli rising
"The blind messiah."
"I can see you."
Neo dispatches Bane (the One motif, noble brass into rising/falling
winds, becoming "floating away" winds, low strings).
"It's not over, Mr. Anderson."
- 5:34: Trinity comforts Neo (brass, hint of Trinity in strings).
||Men In Metal
- 0:00: Lock prepares his Dock
defense, Mifune rallies the APU units (wind/string tremoli into military
theme (Zion Defense theme) with noble brass figures, falling strings motif
(scalar, no longer 2-note based)).
- 1:51: Zee and Charra try to keep their courage up (suspense strings).
- 0:00: Niobe tries to sneak the
Hammer through the tunnels without alerting the Sentinels (low suspense
brass, quiet string tremoli/brass).
- 0:53: The Sentinels are alerted.
"Jig's up, here they come."
The Hammer makes a run for it
(accent, then Sentinel theme developed, reflective brass now as a tremolo figure,
desperate Nebuchadnezzar theme in strings/brass, action tremoli with rhythmic piano
- 2:08: Mifune's APU defense squad
witnesses the first appearance of the Machine Diggers in the roof of the
Dock. Mifune's forces engage the
Sentinels (Zion Defense followed by tense high strings, brass swells into variation
of Sentinel theme, snare rolls, martial Zion Defense theme with hint of
Nebuchadnezzar theme in strings).
- 4:00: The Digger begins further
drilling (Digger motif).
- 4:11: Defenders (including Zee and Charra) with bazookas attempt to take
out the Digger's legs (military snare/low strings under noble brass,
- 4:46: Charra and Zee work together to fire their missiles at the Digger (low synth rumble and snare roll (Charra's theme), Digger motif in
brass with Sentinel theme in strings, etc..).
- 5:44: APU units continue fighting Sentinels, taking casualties (Sentinel
theme, Zion Defense rhythm, string arpeggios, atonal piano cluster accent,
rising accents/figures, etc..).
||Die Brünett Walküre
- 0:00: A second, massive swarm of
Sentinels arrive and take out the central artillery unit (rising brass
figures, rising female, then male chorus, then both, action
- 0:50: Zee and Charra disable one of the Diggers, but a second Digger
quickly arrives at the breach point (Charra synth/snare texture under noble
brass/strings, atonal piano/brass accents into elements from Rising Power motif vs. Digger motif).
- 2:06: Niobe pilots the Hammer
towards Zion as Sentinels swarm the ship's hull. The ship's radio is disabled (energetic
rising strings/brass, Nebuchadnezzar theme in tremolo trumpets vs.
Sentinel motif in strings/tremolo brass).
- 3:13: Charra and Zee manage to
shoot at the second Digger from above, but Charra is killed when pursued (Charra
synth/snare, brass figures, Nebuchadnezzar theme variation in strings, snare
pauses for reflective brass, Sentinel motif/piano clusters, Zion Defense
theme, slam, etc).
||Woman Can Drive
- 0:00: Lock gets a report of the
approaching Hammer (tense tremolo strings, low brass).
- 0:26: Niobe navigates the mechanical line (energetic brass/strings, Fast
forward motif, layers of dissonant brass).
- 1:11: Lock orders the Zion gate to be opened for the Hammer, but Sentinels
disable it (suspense strings derived from Mission scale, then same on
- 1:46: Niobe successfully navigates the drop (pounding brass with reflective
brass layer, Fast forward/Matrix ostinato motif, Rising Power, irregular brass accents, etc...).
- 2:37: Sentinels overtake the
Dock and defenders are massacred (Tragic string figures based on Sentinel
theme backed by chorus).
- 3:12: Mifune fights the Sentinel swarm, but eventually needs a reload from
the Kid (blend of trumpet-led Zion Defense rhythm, chorus, tremolo trumpets, atonal piano clusters
(Sentinel attacks), variations of Sentinel theme/Digger motif/Nebuchadnezzar
- 5:05: The Kid reloads Mifune, but Mifune is taken down. He tells the Kid to open the gate for the
Hammer and dies. (brief "Kid fanfare", then noble brass
figures/tremoli, back to valiant brass/strings with chorus, ending in a subdued
texture and sad trumpet solo).
"(but) Captain... I didn't finish the training program."
"Neither did I."
Post a Comment